Adams says no

With thanks to the News and Star.

 

Nicky Adams has left Carlisle United - and rejoined his former club Bury.

The Shakers tonight announced the capture of the Blues winger after Adams had confirmed he was leaving Brunton Park.

Adams had been offered a new deal at Carlisle but has instead opted to return to Gigg Lane, where he had two previous spells.

The 31-year-old has recently recovered from a cruciate knee ligament injury which has ruled him out since November.

In a post on Twitter, Adams said: "I just want to thank everyone at Carlisle United [but], unfortunately, I won't be staying with the club.

"A huge thank you to the fans, you were different class with me and your support to the club is amazing.

 

"A big thank you to the manager [Keith Curle] and chairman [Andrew Jenkins] for bringing me to the club and letting me be part of your history.

"We got close to our goal [in the 2016/17 season, losing to Exeter in the League Two play-off semi-final] and gave it everything, but fell at the final hurdle.

"I wish you every success next season and will look forward to returning to Brunton Park."

He later described his move to Bury - recently relegated from League One - as a "no-brainer".

On the Shakers' website he said: "It was a no-brainer for me to come back - leaving last time was a blow for myself, but everything happens for a reason."

Bury boss Ryan Lowe described Adams' signing as a "big coup" with the wide man having agreed an initial one-year contract.

He said: "I’ve known Nicky for many years – not only is he a great footballer, but he’s a great lad to have around the building. His attitude and application to play for this football club is what I wanted.

"He leads by example with his attitude and his commitment and, ultimately, his football.

"I think everyone knows in League Two he’s been by far one of the stand-out performers for the past three or four years – with us when we got promoted, and then onto Northampton and Carlisle, so he’s a big coup.

"He’s been offered contracts elsewhere, but once I’d phoned him and made him one of my main priorities and main targets, it was a no-brainer for him, and it was a no-brainer for us.

"Nicky and his family are Bury supporters so he’s over the moon to be back and I’m over the moon to have him back because he’s the type of person and type of character we need in this football club going forward."

In March, Adams said he was eager for an answer on whether he would be given a new deal, as he had "unfinished business" with Carlisle.

Speaking to the News & Star at the time, towards the end of his injury comeback, he said: "I've got a family to look after. I've got three kids at home. I can't afford to wait until May. I'm not in the shop window, so I need to be told. If there's nothing here for me, I'm going to have to go and look at other clubs."

He also said that his injury last November came just "a couple of games" before he would have triggered a contract extension with the Blues.

United finally confirmed last Monday that they would be offering him a new deal, but he is the second senior player to reject the chance to stay, with Clint Hill having also recently left.

Carlisle - continuing to interview candidates for the managerial vacancy - also made contract offers to Mark Ellis, Danny Grainger, Luke Joyce and youngsters Jordan Holt and Jack Egan at the end of the season.

Some of the deals offered to the senior players are believed to be on reduced terms with bonuses also affected.