Carlisle Put Four Past Bristol Rovers

Last updated : 16 January 2011 By Thetashkentterror
Berrett first finding the net moments before the break following a handball, before Danny Coles was red carded for a foul on Francois Zoko early in the second-half. The home side then cruising to victory from that point against a dispirited Rovers outfit as further goals from Curran on 57, Cooper after 73, and then Berrett again from the spot on 82 minutes, after a poor challenge on Ben Marshall, made the final scoreline a little flattering to the Cumbrians.

Carlisle had the first chance of the match after nine minutes when Marshall had a shot deflected wide before just sixty seconds later he curled an effort inches past the post from the edge of the box. Rovers then coming back into it with a pulled Jo Kuffour drive off target before they went as close to scoring as they would do all afternoon when Ben Swallow's excellent inswinging free-kick in was headed onto the underside of the United crossbar from close range by Coles.

Peter Murphy trying to take a free-kick quickly nearly backfired for the Blues shortly afterwards when Rovers won possession only for Kuffour to fire across goal and wide when left one-on-one with Adam Collin. The Gas were on top at this point and first Will Hoskins had a shot blocked as Jeff Hughes then lashed the loose ball over the top. Berrett though responding for United with a long range drive which Luke Daniels tipped over his own crossbar, Lubomir Michalik then heading wide from the resultant Berrett corner.

The Pirates went close though again soon after when Hoskins skipped around a stranded Collin only for his weak shot on goal to be easily cleared away by Michalik short of the goal-line. Marshall, from a Zoko touch, then had a lob on goal just stopped and caught by the fingertips of Daniels, with Rovers then missing another good chance on the half-hour mark when Kuffour swung a ball in from the right only for Hoskins to somehow glance his close range header across goal but wide.

Berrett's free-kick in was then headed off target by Craig Curran for United before Collin got himself in no-mans land again, but no Pirate was on hand to convert Hughes's low cross in. Chris Lines then hammered a Rovers free-kick straight into Carlisle's defensive wall, with Hoskins then curling the rebound into the gloves of Collin. The Blues then making the visitors pay for their missed chances in the 44th minute when Gary Sawyer was perhaps harshly punished for handball in his own box, Berrett then stepping up to the spot to send Daniels the wrong way to give United the lead.

The opening action of the second-half came when Coles won the ball in a tackle with Zoko, the only problem being that his challenge was two-footed and so he had to go. Michalik then thumping the resultant 35-yard goalwards, but it was a relatively easy save for Daniels as the ball went straight at him. Carlisle then doubling their lead in the 57th minute when Paul Thirlwell and Berrett set up Curran for a 15-yard drive across Daniels and into the far corner of the Rovers net.

Just before the midway point in the second-half and Curran cut in from the left only to hit his shot in on goal well wide of the target. Berrett then trying his luck from distance with a long-range half-volley but his effort also sliced away past the Pirates woodwork. United then making it 3-0 with 73 minutes on the clock when Liam Cooper, a Hull City-loanee on his United debut, headed firmly home into the visitors net from an outswinging Berrett corner.

Curran, against a ten-man Rovers side who were now collapsing like a pack of cards, had a header cleared off the line by Carl Regan, with Zoko then sending a scissor kick over the crossbar from the rebound. It then became 4-0 to Carlisle after 82 minutes when Sawyer clearly brought down Marshall in the box, Berrett, despite a short-lived effort from Marshall to take the penalty, then stepping up once more to hammer the resultant spot-kick beyond a shell-shocked Daniels.

In the last eight minutes of the game, along with three minutes of injury time, it then became a case of attack and defence as Rovers, successfully as it turned out, tried to stop the result becoming even more embarrassing for themselves. The only other United chance to make the final scoreline 5-0 coming deep into stoppage time when Sunderland-loanee Liam Noble struck in an effort from distance which was taken in well low down by Daniels.