United Reserves 2-0 Penrith Town

Last updated : 17 April 2008 By Thetashkentterror
After fielding the youth team for the 1-0 semi-final victory over Netherhall a couple of weeks ago it was back to a more traditional reserves line-up for United tonight. Blues boss Eric Kinder fielding a 4-4-2 formation that lined up at the kick-off as follows :

Danny Carlton - Gary Madine

Connor Tinnion - Paul Thirlwell - Luke Joyce - Kevin Gall

Zigor Aranalde - Darren Campion - Tom Aldred - Paul Arnison

Chris Howarth

Penrith didn't play particularly well throughout, although neither Carlisle did to be fair in a poor match, but it was United that had the first shot of the game in the fifth minute, Gall's right-footed half-volley from 22 yards out in the right-hand channel flying across the Town goal and wide of goalkeeper James Holland's far-post.

Five minutes later, with United well on top, Gall tried a right-footed chip from just inside the box over Holland but his effort landed on the roof of the net. Gall then turning provider in the 12th minute when his cross from the right was headed, ten yards out, by Madine straight into the arms of Holland on the bounce. Sixty seconds on and Arnison's right-footed drive from distance disappeared over the top and into the empty Warwick Road End.

Gary Madine - bagged a brace
Carlisle's next chance coming after 26 minutes when skipper Thirlwell laid a slide-rule pass into the box for Aranalde. The Basque left-back seeing his fierce left-footed drive from 15 yards out on that side of the penalty area parried up into the air by Holland, with Paul Pattinson clearing the ball away from the line only for it drop back to Aranalde. The 35-year old's low centre across the six-yard box then just evading Carlton as he stretched to make contact at the back-post.

Joyce and Madine then combined in similar fashion seven minutes later, Madine choosing to cross though when he could have shot, only to see no-one make any effort to get on the end of his ball along the six-yard line. Madine did take his chance to open the scoring bang on the half-hour mark however when he neatly chested down Aranalde's deep ball into the box, the 17-year old then calmly tapping a right-footed shot off the face of his boot past Holland from just six yards out.

The left-hand channel seemed to be where United were making the most headway and yet another ball into the box down there, once more from Aranalde, found Madine free again. Madine then knocking the ball across to Gall who now only had Penrith captain and left-back Mark Jones to beat on the line from eight yards out. Gall though sadly tapping a weak side-footed effort goalwards with his right boot that was easy fare for Jones to hoof clear.

To be honest the rest of the opening period was pretty much devoid of any entertainment whatsoever, and the potato and leek soup at half-time was a little bit short of it's usual high standards as well. Something happened right at the start of the second-half though to keep us awake when a cross in from the left by Jones was headed wide eight yards out at the Carlisle back-post by a stretching Barry Irving.

In the 49th minute Gall sent a weak right-footed curler from 22 yards out wide of the target, then two minutes later Madine's effort from similar distance went over Holland's crossbar. Then, after 54 minutes, Gall made a surging run forward before laying possession off to Madine, the United striker then moving the ball on again to Tinnion just to the left of the Penrith 'D', Tinnion wasn't having one of his better nights though and his left-footed shot sliced well wide of the near-post.

Gall was even further off target shortly afterwards when Aranalde's 40-yard free-kick up, following a foul on Tinnion by Will Paul, fell to him on the right-angle of the box. His right-footed half-volley probably reaching the training pitch as it disappeared miles over the back wall of the Waterworks End.

Penrith did go close though just after the hour-mark when Ryan Errington, who had seen little of the ball all night, flicked a six-yard effort with the inside of his right boot into Howarth's side-netting following a cross in from the right by Craig Wilson. Carlisle, once more in control though, replying at the midway point in the half, when Carlton sent a right-footed 25-yarder straight into the arms of Holland.

The game was actually starting to get going now as it opened up quite a bit and on 67 minutes Paul's cross from the right-wing saw Irving head back across goal six yards out at the far-post and Howarth make an excellent diving catch to prevent a Town equaliser. Moments later United making their first substitution of the night when Stephen Hindmarch came on down the left in a direct swap for Tinnion.

With 68 minutes gone Gall made another run through the middle only to slice a 22-yard left-footed drive wide of the target, the break in play seeing Madine booked for dissent after a seemingly obvious foul on him moments earlier had not been given. Madine then keeping in the action three minutes later when his right-footed shot from 22 yards out was easily held low down by Holland at his far-post.

Penrith boss Dave Heslop made a double substitution in the 73rd minute as he looked to drag Town back into the game, Heslop replacing Kevin Frampton with former Carlisle frontman Pete Ferris and Matty Lea with Karl Jackson. A long time ago Derek Townsley was also on United's YTS scheme and he almost made the most of a mistake by Aldred with 15 minutes to go, Townsley though only sending his 18-yard right-footer straight at Howarth.

That was a big chance gone for Penrith as well as Carlisle made it 2-0 just sixty seconds later. Arnison and Gall combining with Gall's low ball across from the right seeing Madine casually stroke the a right-footed effort with the inside of his boot across Holland and into the far corner of the Town net from 15 yards out.

Townsley tried to make amends for his earlier chance moments on but his right-footed 18-yarder deflected out off the back of Aldred, the resultant two corners then coming to nothing. In the space of the next three minutes Carlton sent a right-footer from 20 yards out well over the top, then Joyce hit a shot from distance with his right boot that Holland was able to watch sail well wide of his far-post.

The break in play seeing Carlisle make another change when Matt Duffy replaced Aldred at right centre-half, that meaning United now had three left-footed players across their back line. Townsley won the battle of the elder statesmen when he was hacked down by Aranalde right on the by-line and edge of the United box after 83 minutes. Aranalde being yellow carded before Wilson's right-footed free-kick in was headed bang into the gloves of Howarth by a busy Townsley from eight yards out.

Sixty seconds later Town made their final substitution of the night when Tim Fletcher replaced Irving upfront. Some terrible Carlisle defending shortly afterwards allowing Jackson to fire in a right-footed shot from ten yards out that saw Howarth make an excellent reaction save. Fletcher then almost scoring with his first touch from close range as the ball broke to him, only for Howarth to get up and make another fantastic point-blank stop to preserve his clean sheet.

With 87 minutes gone Madine was fouled by Wayne Robertson 35 yards out on the left. Carlton being the first out of the blocks to meet Aranalde's ball up 15 yards out, only for his left-footed volley to disappear out wide of Holland's near-post. Aranalde once more in the action moments later when his long throw wasn't dealt with by the Penrith defence as it dropped to Joyce in traffic six yards out, Joyce's right-footed toe-poke from there dribbling inches wide of the Town goal.

It was left to Madine to try to grab his hat-trick in the first minute of injury time with the last chance of the game, but his right-footed 20-yarder was a relatively easy shot for Holland to handle. So, another Cumberland Cup campaign finishes, and this time Carlisle have won the competition for only the third time in fifteen seasons, bigger fish are yet to fry though with the first team still looking for promotion to the Championship and the youth team just about challenging for the title at their level.

United line-up :

Chris Howarth, Paul Arnison, Zigor Aranalde, Darren Campion, Tom Aldred (Matt Duffy 79), Luke Joyce, Kevin Gall, Paul Thirlwell (c), Danny Carlton, Gary Madine, Connor Tinnion (Stephen Hindmarch 67).

Unused substitutes :

Grant Carson (GK), Andy Cook and Jonny Blake.

Penrith line-up :

James Holland, Will Paul, Mark Jones (c), Paul Pattinson, Wayne Robertson, Kevin Frampton (Pete Ferris 73), Craig Wilson, Derek Townsley, Barry Irving (Tim Fletcher 84), Ryan Errington, Matty Lea (Karl Jackson 73).

Unused substitutes :

Michael Hodgson and Richard Prokas.

Referee - Mr A Charters.

Reserve Team Results : Click here

Reserve Team Table : Click here