Carlisle KO Kirkoswald In Cumberland Cup

Last updated : 15 November 2007 By Thetashkentterror
A cold November evening saw the Blues kick-off their 2007-08 Cumberland Cup campaign at the Round Three stage, United taking on a Kirkoswald side who currently sit at the top of the Talbot Insurance Westmorland Football League Division Two table. A slightly weaker than usual Carlisle second-string side taking to the Brunton Park pitch as follows :

Stephen Hindmarch - Gary Madine

Ged Dalton - Luke Joyce - Shaun Vipond - Neale McDermott

Matt Duffy - Tom Aldred - Dan Wordsworth - Paul Arnison

Chris Howarth

In front of just over 200 spectators, with the Kirkoswald contingent doing more cheering in one night than the Paddock does in a season, United started brightly kicking towards the empty Waterworks end. Dalton, Hindmarch and Joyce all combining as early as the fifth minute only for Madine to find the killer touch lacking as he mis-kicked at Hindmarch's cross from close range.

Three minutes later Madine's ten-yard header from a Duffy cross in was an easy one for visitors keeper Tom Banks to take, then shortly afterwards Arnison fired a piledriver wide of the Kirkoswald goal from fully 30 yards out. In the 12th minute Hindmarch, Joyce and Dalton all combined well again down the right, Madine this time side-footing the ball home from the penalty spot area to grab the opening goal of the game.

Unsurprisingly it was all Carlisle throughout the match and four minutes later Joyce tried his luck from his range but in traditional fashion at Brunton Park he slipped to the turf before shooting with his effort sailing well wide. Moments later McDermott's corner was punched out by Banks, Joyce seeing his 18-yarder then parried by Banks before an off-balance Madine spooned the rebound over the top.

After 18 minutes Madine saw his eight-yard header from a McDermott right-wing cross hacked off the line by Matthew Fearn, then Chris Wiseman was forced to leave the field with a nasty looking leg injury as he blocked a Madine shot. Wiseman's place in the Kirkoswald engine room being taken by Ross Kaminski.

Luke Joyce - hat-trick
The visitors substitute only being on the pitch a mere sixty seconds before he watched Joyce grab two goals within the space of a minute. The first coming with a back-post header from an Arnison cross in the 22nd minute, with the second this time coming from a McDermott ball in shortly afterwards, Joyce again heading the ball into the back of the Kirkoswald net from six yards out.

Three goals to the good and it could have been four for Carlisle in the 27th minute when Hindmarch's near-stick header from a McDermott corner flew into the Waterworks End off the angle of post and bar. Six minutes later McDermott's dipping 20-yard right-footer, following good approach play by Hindmarch and Arnison, proved an easy one for Banks to handle.

Five minutes before the break and United made it 4-0 when, for more than likely the first time in has career, Joyce completed a 17-minute hat-trick. The United midfielder profiting as he fired home on the turn from close range after Dalton had headed a McDermott right-wing cross back into his path. No more goals then coming for the Blues before the break despite Madine and Arnison both firing 20-yard efforts straight into the arms of Banks.

Kirkoswald brought on the second of their three named substitutes during the interval when James Stobart replaced Jonathon Stout. The change making little difference to Carlisle in the opening two minutes of the half as Joyce saw his close-range header from Duffy's cross hacked away from danger before Dalton fired Arnison's ball wide of the target with his right boot from 12 yards out.

The majority of the United play seemed to be coming down the right and in the 50th minute Banks made a good save from Hindmarch after the Blues striker had got on the end of a McDermott ball in. Three minutes later Duffy played Madine in, Brunton Park's top scorer seeing his left-footed shot on the turn from 12 yards out well held by Banks at his near-post.

Two minutes later Carlisle boss Eric Kinder made his first change of the night when right-back Matthew Brown replaced Wordsworth, Duffy then moving into the vacant centre-half position while Brown slotted into the left-back spot in which he has featured when required for the youth team. Shortly afterwards Vipond, who had a tidy game throughout, hammered a right-footed drive in from range only to watch it fly inches wide of the Kirkoswald far-post.

Bang on the hour-mark and the visitors had their first real chance of the game only for Matthew Dixon to head wide following Sean Elliott's cross in from the left. United making their second change in personnel during the break in play when Connor Tinnion replaced Dalton on the left flank.

Two minutes later McDermott's right-wing centre in was fumbled by Banks, McDermott then racing in only to hammer the loose ball over the top from ten yards out after Kirkoswald had been unable to clear the danger. United made it 5-0 in the 65th minute when Hindmarch made a great charge forward and fed the ball into the run of the marauding Arnison, the Carlisle right-back hammering a fierce ten-yard drive past Banks at his near-post.

Hindmarch was unable to do the finishing himself though three minutes later when he thumped a right-footed half-volley into the empty Warwick Road End from the edge of the visitors penalty area. Tinnion sent a 22-yard curler wide with his left foot shortly afterwards, then in the 74th minute the Blues made their final substitution of the match when Andrew Cook replaced Hindmarch upfront.

Cook getting straight into the action as within the space of a minute he headed a Tinnion cross over the top from ten yards out and then fired in a powerful left-footed drive from the middle of the Kirkoswald 'D' that forced Banks into making a scrambling save low down at his right-hand post.

First-year YTS defender Duffy grabbed his first competitive goal in United colours as the scoreline hit 6-0 in the 80th minute. Duffy making a forceful run forward from the left flank as his pass to Cook then came straight back to him 12 yards out off the legs of a Kirkoswald defender. Duffy showing some good composure as he smashed his left-footed shot home past Banks.

The visitors making their last change before the kick-off when Richard Metcalfe came on in place of Matthew Whitton. Tinnion showed his promise as a left-winger with real potential in the 83rd minute when he beat two men cutting in from the flank only to fire a 15-yard drive across goal and wide of the far-post on his weaker right foot.
Gary Madine - bagged a brace

Madine showed Tinnion how to find the net in the 85th minute though when he held the ball up well himself before turning on a sixpence just outside the Kirkoswald penalty area and side-footing a shot casually beyond Banks low into the near bottom corner of the net. Sixty seconds later Cook was again trying to get himself on the scoresheet but his eight-yard header from a Vipond cross flew over the bar.

The big moment for the visitors almost came after 87 minutes when Ross Cowperthwaite did excellently on the left to send a ball onto the head of Elliott eight yards out. Elliott thinking he had free beer in the Fetherston Arms for a month only for Howarth, who had been redundant all evening, to make an outstanding one-handed save low down on his goal-line.

As Elliott stood with his hands on his head though United broke straight up the other end only for Cook to drag a 15-yarder wide of the far-post. The last chance of the game coming shortly afterwards when Joyce hammered a 22-yard drive over the top. So, Carlisle progress safely to the quarter-finals of the Cumberland Cup, which will be played in January, but credit must also go the visitors who played the game in a good, clean spirit from the get-go when many teams would have resorted to hacking under such incessant pressure.

United line-up:

Chris Howarth, Paul Arnison, Matt Duffy, Luke Joyce, Dan Wordsworth (Matthew Brown 55), Tom Aldred, Neale McDermott, Shaun Vipond, Gary Madine, Stephen Hindmarch (Andrew Cook 74), Ged Dalton (Connor Tinnion 60).

Unused substitutes :

Grant Carson (GK) and Jonny Blake.

Kirkoswald line-up :

Tom Banks, Matthew Fearn, Nicholas Tuer, Neil Edmondson, Mark Relph, Matthew Whitton (Richard Metcalfe 80), Matthew Dixon, Chris Wiseman (Ross Kaminski 22), Ross Cowperthwaite, Sean Elliott, Jonathon Stout (James Stobart 46).

No unsused substitutes.

Goals - Gary Madine (12, 85), Luke Joyce (23, 24, 40), Paul Arnison (65) and Matt Duffy (80).

Referee - Mr Alan Charters (Maryport).

Attendance - 207.

Reserve Team Results : Click here

Reserve Team Table : Click here